The inevitable and dreaded writer’s block. You could be typing through a story and be more sure than you have ever been about what’s going to happen next, but then all of a sudden, nothing. You can’t think of anything, your mind is completely blank and you can’t even get another word out. It happens and if it hasn’t then it certainly will. It could last for days or just for a couple of hours, but either way it can be very frustrating. These are some things that I do to try and get back into the story.
- Stop and take a break. Don’t even think about it. Just walk away from your computer and do something different. Eventually it might come back to you. The break could be for just five minutes or even for a whole day.
- Write something else. If you’re stuck on one story, work on another one. It might be just a short story or maybe even a poem. Sometimes when I think about a story too much my brain overloads and shuts down. I have another book I can work on so I have something else to focus on.
- Try not to schedule. Now for some of you it might be better for you to set a time aside to work on your writing but for me I can’t force myself. I do it whenever I have some free time but I have other things I might want to do in case I can’t think of anything. I work when I can and when my brain let’s me.
- Try putting something on in the background: some music or TV. I find it much easier to work with some background noise. Otherwise I focus too much on the story—which sometimes is better—and I sit there every couple of minutes with nothing to write, and then I get frustrated. I have a scatterbrain, so it is good to have something else to focus on during those gaps.
- Go back and read the last few paragraphs or even go back to the beginning. Sometimes I have an idea in my head of what’s going to happen a couple pages ahead but then when I get to that point I completely forget what the idea was. So, if I go back it will spark my memory.
These are just a few things that I do to overcome brain’s inability to think of anything. They are really helpful to me and I hope that some of you find this useful. If anyone else has any tricks that they do to overcome writer’s block feel free to comment because unfortunately these don’t always work, and taking a break can last for days.